Sunday, June 21, 2009

Quinoa Pancakes with Apples

Have you ever been in a conversation with someone and they're talking about something they've done or some place they've been and you think to yourself, "My gosh, I haven't done that or been there for so long?..." And when the conversation ends and you go your separate ways, you're left thinking about it and trying to remember why it's been so long that you've done that thing or gone to that place - you liked it so much - what happened?

Well, I myself was conversing the other week with a friend about food and making good choices and she started gushing about Quinoa and how much she loved it. Of course, she respectfully uses the correct pronunciation, Keen Wa while I insist in my head that it's Qui No A. I know she is right and I am wrong, but my pronunciation feels right. Anyway.....the reason she was gushing over this grain is because it's high in protein, gluten-free, and high in fiber. It's got it all, including a mild nutty flavor. This is definitely one of those superstar grains to incorporate into your healthy diet.

Shortly after our inspired conversation, I made a bee-line for the store and bought myself some of this great grain. When I got home I had to decide what to do with it. Pancakes were the first thing I thought of, so I started mixing things together that I thought might work to create a healthy, but tasty cake. Since Quinoa has a distinct nutty flavor, I reasoned that nuts go fabulously with apples and what goes better with apples than cinnamon - nothing! I added Flaxmeal because it is super healthy for you and a little nutty as well. Long story somewhat shorter, I dumped all of this together and made a perfectly, palatable pancake - "Toot Toot"! - me tooting my own horn.


Tooting your own horn when you've discovered a new fabulous recipe or created one of your own is a great way to keep the creative energy alive in the kitchen. You could pat yourself on the back for a job well done, but a playful "Toot Toot" with the arm motion is so much more fun!

Y
ou have two options here that I can see. One: Do as the recipe says and add the sugar to the pancakes, BUT skip the maple syrup once they're stacked pile high on your plate or Two: Skip the sugar in the batter and save the sugar for the syrup. Of course, my vision for these apple cakes is the sugar in the batter and eating the pancakes plain, because their flavor is so wonderful. You could be a superhero and skip the sugar altogether! Go ahead - I challenge you - but I couldn't do it and I'm okay with that.

This recipe makes about eight good-sized pancakes that are nice and filling. If you're making this for the family, doubling it would be a must. OR, you could double it and place the remaining batter in the fridge and use it over the next couple days. That's what I do! With a single recipe I make one or two pancakes as part of my breakfast, so this batter can last for a few days. It's a great reason to wake up in the morning!


Quinoa Pancakes with Apples

3/4 Cup Oat Flour ( or regular flour)
1/4 Cup Quinoa Flour
2 Tablespoons Sugar
One Tablespoon Flax Meal
2 Teaspoons Baking Powder
1/8 - 1/4 Teaspoon Salt
2 Tablespoons Coconut Oil or Melted Butter
3/4 Cup Milk
One Egg
One Apple Finely Chopped
One Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
Dash of Cinnamon

Mix all the dry ingredients together and then add all the wet ones - Simple. Stir until incorporated.

Cook 'em up!

Eat 'em up!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Happy Father's Day

to all the loved Dads out there, especially OUR dads, Tom and Larry!


0 comments:

Post a Comment