Monday, August 9, 2010

Betty G's Loaded Chocolate Chip Cookies with Oatmeal

click on photo to enlarge, then begin the drooling process

When my childhood friend, Jen came to play for the weekend, she showed up with a perky plate of chocolate chip cookies. I had just gotten home from work and had not eaten dinner, so my resistance to the cookie was super, super low - I ate three. When I got up on Saturday morning and started my day with two more cookies I knew something had to be done, and soon. I hid them. I figured out of sight....out of mind and it worked!

Jen left around noon on Sunday and a few hours later I rediscovered the cookies hidden in the cupboard.

Surprise!!!

It was like Christmas morning in July! As excited as I was to be reunited with them, I was now alone in my house with a plate full of cookies loaded with mucho chocolate chips. I didn't stand a chance. After I indulged in yet another sinful cookie, I knew I had to share them with the world, so I immediately emailed Jen to get the recipe while I crunched on one last cookie (had to be absolutely certain they were blog-worthy). I thought she told me the recipe came from our other childhood friend, Jen, who now lives in Vermont.

When I finally received the much anticipated email, I noticed the recipe was actually Vermont Jen's mother's cookie recipe, which made perfect sense. Betty was always a great cook and baker when we were growing up and everything she made tasted like it just fell from heaven's kitchen. I felt honored to have Betty's recipe in my possession, as I hope now you feel honored to have it in yours!!!

Happy Cookie Making!!!

Oh....and this little number does NOT get filed away under Healthy.... it falls somewhere between Yum Mee! and Oh My!


Betty G's Loaded Chocolate Chip Cookies with Oatmeal

1-1/2 Cups Flour
One Teaspoon Baking Soda
One Teaspoon Salt
One Egg
1 1/2 Tablespoons Vanilla
1-1/4 Cups Butter
3/4 Cup Brown Sugar
1/2 Cup Sugar
3 Cups Quaker Rolled Oats
2 Cups Semi-sweet Chocolate Chips
3/4 Cup Chopped Pecans


Heat oven to 375 degrees.

Beat together butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla.

In a separate bowl, mix flour, salt, and baking soda. Gradually add to butter mixture, mixing well until blended.
Add the oats, chocolate, and pecans.

Bake 9-10 minutes for a chewy cookie. Bake 11-12 minutes for crispy.

Below is what crispy looks like.....

Makes 72 cookies EXACTLY!

4 comments:

Kate said...

yay! I love a good cookie recipe!

Question - what program do you use to add watermarks to your photos? I'm still trying to find a good one.

Sewing OCD said...

Hey Sheri, how much vanilla do I add? I see vanilla in the directions but not in the ingredients. I ask because I'm hoping to make these tonight for hubby!

Sheri said...

I FORGOT the vanilla??!?!?!? I should be banned from the kitchen for a mistake like that! It's 1-1/2 Tablespoons......enjoy!

Sewing OCD said...

Haha, it's ok! I admit that I was itching to make them so I charged ahead and made them with 1 TBSP of vanilla. Next time however I'll use 1 1/2.

They are AMAZING! I must respectfully disagree with you on one point though. The presence of the oatmeal cancels out the butter and sugar, so while not techically classified as "healthy" they become "neutral". Haha or at least that's what I'm telling myself since I had one for breakfast with coffee!

Post a Comment