Saturday, September 4, 2010

Blueberry Banana Bread


Now I know we have posted lots of bread and muffin recipes here on Party in the Pantry. Especially muffins. And we wanted to let you know we apologize.

No, not really. Sorry.

Because here's the thing...muffins and bread are GOOD, people! And you can never have enough good recipes for them in your cooking arsenal. What's not to like? They are a breeze to whip up, they freeze well, and people like them! I like to make a few different kinds to keep in the freezer in case we get impromptu guests, or if I need to shake up the weekday breakfasts for the kiddos. And muffins or breads always do the trick...especially if this is one of them!

This recipe is fantastic, just sooooo good!!! The citrus glaze is not necessary, as the bread itself is quite tasty all on it's own, but if you add it you will definitely NOT be disappointed in the least! So go stock up on blueberries and get to baking!

Blueberry Banana Bread

2 1/2 c. flour
1 c. sugar
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 c. mashed ripe bananas
1/4 c. buttermilk (I used plain yogurt)
2 tbsp. lemon juice
2 tbsp. canola oil
2 large egg whites
1 large egg
1 tsp lemon zest
1 c. blueberries, fresh OR frozen

Heat your oven to 350. In a large bowl, combine the first 5 ingredients. In another bowl, combine all other ingredients except the blueberries. Now, stir the banana mixture into the flour mixture slowly. Gently stir in the blueberries and mix just until combined. Pour the batter into a loaf pan coated with cooking spray and bake for 1 hour. Cool on a wire rack for 15 minutes, then invert loaf out of the pan. Cool 10 minutes more.

Now, this bread is great if you stop right here, I promise you. But...if you want to kick it up another notch, you can whip up this little glaze to go on top:

1/2 c. confectioners sugar
2 tsp lemon juice
1/2 tsp. grated lemon zest

Mix these 3 ingredients up and spread over the top of the warm loaf. Let cool completely before slicing. Oh my, my, my....I don't think you'll want to share this one!

Guess what?!? I made this over the weekend and the batter is enough for one smaller sized loaf AND a pan of 12 regular sized muffins! I just love having options, don't you?

2 comments:

Claire said...

This looks really good - I am on a quest for a moist sweet banana bread - this one may be the answer!

Kuckie said...

Give it a try, Claire...I'm pretty sure you'll love it!

Post a Comment