Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Peanut Butter Chocolate Cupcakes

 



I have to tell you that Sheri and I kind of made an agreement that we wouldn't make any more sweets for Party in the Pantry for awhile.  I mean, we like to eat healthy foods...REALLY!!!!  I SWEAR!!

The problem is, we also really like to make tasty treats.  So while I'm in total agreement that I should be cooking lots of scrumptious vegetable dishes, I couldn't help but make these when I saw the recipe in an old Redbook my mom had laying around, and they did not disappoint!!   Besides, we all need a treat now and then, right?  RIGHT?!?!

So although I am breaking the pact, I implore you to try these.  They are moist.  They are chocolately.  They are peanut buttery.  They are easy to make, and use everyday items. But most importantly, they are just plain yuuuuummy!!

**Note:  The recipe doesn't call for it, but I added a few chocolate chips to the batter because, well...just because, ok?  And I highly recommend doing it!


Peanut Butter Cupcakes with Chocolate Frosting

1 1/4 c. flour
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 c. light brown sugar
6 Tbsp. unsalted butter, softened
1 tsp. vanilla 
1/2 c. smooth peanut butter
2 large eggs
1/2 c. whole milk
peanut butter chips or diced peanut butter cups for garnishing

Preheat your oven to 350 and line 12 muffin cups with paper liners.  In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt and set aside.  In another bowl, beat the brown sugar, butter, and vanilla until creamy.  Add the peanut butter and beat until completely blended.  Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.  Lastly, add the milk.  Now slowly add the flour mixture and beat until well combined, but be careful not to overmix!

Fill each muffin cup with 1/4 c. of the batter and bake 20-25 minutes, or until the cupcakes spring back when touched lightly.  Let cool for at least 10 minutes before icing.  

Chocolate Frosting
12 oz. semisweet chocolate chips
1 1/3 c. heavy cream

In a saucepan over low heat, stir the chocolate chips and cream until the chocolate is completely melted and smooth.  Transfer the mixture to a mixing bowl and refrigerate 1 hour, or until chilled throughout, but not too firm.  Beat the mixture until creamy, about 3 minutes.  Spread over cupcakes and garnish with peanut butter chips or broken peanut butter cups.  YUMMY!



0 comments:

Post a Comment