Sunday, November 8, 2009

Roasted Veggie Quesadillas


I found this recipe in a cookbook by the Moosewood Collective. Funny story about this book...I was a member of a book club called One Spirit at the time, and I had forgotten to send in my little card that says, "Hey, I don't want you to send me that book!"
I hate those little cards. They just don't gel with my habit of procrastination.

Anyway, I usually remembered to send them in, albeit at the last minute, so I thought it interesting that I had forgotten this time around. I didn't even know what that month's selection was, for pity's sake! So I thought I'd just ride it out and see what book the universe thought I needed so badly that it would make me forget to send my card in.
How's that for justification?

When the book finally showed up on my doorstep, I was intrigued that it was a cookbook...because, as you may or may not know, I LOVE cookbooks. It's a sickness, I tell you! I started flipping through it, just to see if there was anything good. Well, I hadn't realized it was a vegetarian cookbook! And although I am NOT a vegetarian, I like veggies. A LOT. Long story short, the book never went back. And most everything I've tried out of it has been deeeee-lish! Keeping in mind, of course, that I have no desire to try any of the tofu recipes. Tofu creeps me out. I'm just being honest here...and you do want honesty, don't you?

So one fine evening, Sheri, Sarah and Torben came out for dinner and we decided to keep it easy and try this yummy recipe. It had all the things we were looking for at the time...relatively healthy, easy, made enough for a group, and it had cheese. Cheese is good...VERY GOOD. And though we assumed they would be good, we were not prepared for how VERY GOOD they were. None of us could quit talking about them! And they've been a staple around these parts ever since....

I highly suggest you try them. Even the kiddos like them...but we call them "Mexican grilled cheese". Enjoy, peeps!


Roasted Veggie Quesadillas

1/2 Cup Sliced Onions
3/4 Cup Sliced Red or Green Peppers
1-1/2 Cup Sliced Zucchini
2 Cups Sliced Portabellas
2 Tablespoon Olive Oil
2 Garlic Cloves, minced or pressed
1/2 Teaspoon Dried Oregano
1/2 Teaspoon Salt
1/4 Teaspoon Black Pepper
4 (8") Tortillas
Grated Cheddar

First off, let's get that oven going...425*!! Chop all of those yummy veggies and throw them in a big bowl with the olive oil, oregano, salt, and pepper until everything in there is nice and coated in spices. One thing to note here...please don't feel fenced in with this selection of veggies! You can add asparagus, eggplant, broccoli, or anything else that tickles your fancy. This is just the way we like them! Now, spread them all out on a cookie sheet or a 9X13 pan to let them have a little space. Pop those babies in the oven and roast 'em for about 25-30 minutes. You'll know the time is right when the potatoes begin to get tender. Now, take a deep breath and smell all those wonderful smells coming from your oven...delightful!!!

Now the fun starts! Pile about 1/4 of the roasted veggies onto one half of each of the tortillas, making sure to leave 1/2" border around the edge. I know you'll be tempted to really fill 'em up, but trust me, less is better! We don't want them exploding! Now top the filling with about 1/4 cup of that yummy cheese we talked about, and fold the tortilla in half to form a half-moon shape.

Oil your skillet lightly and get it going over medium heat. Cook two quesadillas at a time, for 1-2 minutes on each side, until golden brown. Slice them in half and serve with sour cream. Go ahead and oooh and ahhhh over how comforting this dish is. And feel free to check out the Moosewood Collective...even if you're not a vegetarian...they ROCK!!!

And besides, we could all use some more veggies, couldn't we???? :)



3 comments:

Kate said...

we make similar veggie quesadillas - but w/ cumin and chili powder added - yummy! These looks great too - I'm excited to try them~

jenjamin said...

great blog ladies! I have a food blog and am instant friends with those who love it like I :)

Kuckie said...

Jenjamin, welcome! We've been following your blog for some time, and it's great as well! We food-lovers have to stick together! :)

Post a Comment