Saturday, May 9, 2009

Cinnamon Popcorn


Growing up, I loved popcorn! When all of us kids were young, my parents popped enough corn for all us to have our own little bowl. When it was just my sister and I still living at home, I can remember nights when I would be studying, and all of a sudden I would smell the unmistakable aroma of popcorn in the air.

As if under a spell, I would get up and follow the scent into the kitchen. Sometimes, I would catch my Mom or Dad leaving the room with their big bowl of popcorn in hand, while other times the kitchen would be empty - except for the evidence they left behind. I would then pop my own corn, leave the kitchen, and within minutes, hear the popper cranking out a third batch for my little sister. The smell was so infectious, it was hard not to eat some once you got a whiff of it.

My mother never believed in microwaves, so we always air popped our corn and drizzled good old-fashioned butter right on top. I remember my mom making homemade caramel popcorn for special occasions sometimes and it was delicious! It always took forever to make - at least it felt like forever when I was a kid, which is why I've never bothered to make it as an adult. But my older sister, Terri found this great recipe that tastes like caramel popcorn and it takes no time at all.

I'll warn you just like my sister did the first time she made it for me by saying, "Be careful. It's somewhat addictive - once you start, it's hard to stop." Of course, a warning like that seems to have the opposite effect on me, so I dug right in. I think it's hard to stop once you start because it's a lot more subtle than caramel popcorn. There's just enough of a hint of butter, sugar, cinnamon, and salt on each kernel to excite your taste buds, that before you know it, you've completely embarrassed yourself by shoveling it down the hatch like you haven't eaten in days. With that said, it's probably best to serve this sinful snack in small individual bowls, so nobody falls prey to gluttony. Or not!

So, if you're spending some quality time with the family this Mother's Day Weekend and your evening happens to involve a family movie, consider this fabulous sweet treat for the whole family to enjoy!


Cinnamon Popcorn

Pop Enough Corn To Measure 12 Cups

Melt:
1/2 Cup Sugar
1/2 Cup Butter
1/2 Teaspoon Cinnamon
1/4 Teaspoon Salt

While you're popping your 12 cups of popcorn, melt the butter, sugar, salt, and cinnamon on the stove over low heat. Put the popcorn in a large bowl and pour the mixture over it, stirring constantly. Once you've coated all the popcorn, grab a bowl and dig in.

If you are not eating the popcorn immediately - say, you're bringing it to a fireworks display or a drive-in movie - pour the popcorn into a 9x13 pan and place it in a 300 degree oven for 15 minutes, stirring halfway through. Place popcorn in sealed plastic bag until ready to eat!


Enjoy!


Happy Mother's Day to our mothers, Cindy and Jean!

We Love You!


0 comments:

Post a Comment