Saturday, April 11, 2009

Asparagus Frittata


Do you know that I never tried asparagus until I was 22 years old? Growing up, my father had the biggest garden for miles around where he grew lots of fruits and vegetables - so many, that we spent most of the month of August each year canning all that produce, but he never grew asparagus.

So, I was 22 years old and a lovely couple who were patients of mine, invited me to their house for dinner. The wife asked, “Do you like asparagus?” I thought to myself, “aspara-what?” If I remember correctly, in that moment I responded that I did, but later that evening during dinner I came clean and admitted I had never even heard of asparagus and had no idea what it was.

Being friends with Jen, it’s hard not to be a fan of the vegetable because she Loooooves asparagus! Between her serving it for dinner frequently and eating at restaurants that like to compliment their fish and salmon with it, I have grown to have a sincere appreciation for this vegetable. I don’t know that my appreciation will ever grow into the sappy kind of love Jen feels for it, but one can never tell…..

So, if you have a sincere appreciation for the flavor and health benefits of asparagus or better yet, feel a sappy kind of love for it, then this Frittata is right up your alley. Now, frittata is like the pizza of egg dishes, which means anything goes! It's like making an easy omelet with any vegetables or meat you want. Today, we want asparagus.


Asparagus Frittata

2 Cups Asparagus, cut in 1/2 inch pieces
One Cup Yellow Squash, cut in small pieces
1/2 Cup Green Onions, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
6 Eggs
1/2 Cup Ricotta or Cottage Cheese or Sour Cream
2 Tablespoons Water
One Tablespoon Chopped Fresh Parsley
One Tablespoon Chopped Fresh Marjoram (one tsp dried)
One Teaspoon Salt
1/4 Teaspoon Black Pepper
2 Teaspoons Olive Oil
1/4 Cup Grated Parmesan Cheese

In a large bowl, whisk together Ricotta cheese, eggs, water, parsley, marjoram, salt, and pepper. Blanch the asparagus in boiling water to cover for 2 to 3 minutes. Drain and plunge into cold water, then drain again and set aside.

Saute' yellow squash in oil until softening and then add scallions and cook one more minute. Stir in asparagus.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Transfer the vegetables to a greased 9-inch pie pan. Pour the egg mixture over the vegetables and sprinkle the Parmesan on top. Bake for about 30 minutes, until golden and set. Cool on a rack for a few minutes before serving.

This reheats beauuuuutifuly!


Coming Tomorrow.... The New And Improved Egg Just For Easter!

0 comments:

Post a Comment