Sunday, October 18, 2009

Popovers!

Sometimes you just need a little bread with your meal, you know?

We're not big on having bread at every meal, mind you...though that is something we see consistently with our parents and grandparents. Growing up, there was rarely a meal at our table that didn't include a plate of sliced bread and a stick of butter. Dinner was all about filling bellies, folks, not watching carbs! But things are different now, and we prefer to only eat bread when it enhances our meal...not as a filler. Unless it's a really good sourdough or asiago...

I have a love/hate relationship with bread, biscuits, and rolls. I love having them around for dinners of stews, roasts, and pasta...but I hate making them. I don't know why...maybe it's the kneading. Or the waiting.

I definitely hate any recipe that calls for me cutting butter into flour. For some reason, I can't do it! Yes, I know it seems relatively easy, but mine always turns out in a weird consistency, so maybe that's my deal with biscuits. Who knows? They sure do taste good though!

I'll tell you what I do know, though. When I need some kind of bread (like I did last night) to go along with a nice hearty soup (like the rabbit gumbo my brother made), popovers are just the ticket! They could not be easier, or quicker, or YUMMIER!!! They are so light and airy, you won't be able to eat just one! Try them soon, folks...it's soup weather!!

Popovers

4 eggs
2 c. milk
2 c. flour
1 tsp. salt

Heat oven to 450. Beat eggs just slightly and add the remaining ingredients. Beat until smooth, but DO NOT OVERBEAT!!!

Fill 16 oiled medium sized muffin cups 3/4 full. Bake 25 minutes and then lower the temperature to 350. Bake 15-20 minutes longer. Serve with butter and/or jam. We love ours with strawberry!

0 comments:

Post a Comment