Friday, October 23, 2009

Pumpkin and Spice Muffins

We insanely looooove the ever popular fall dessert that is the pumpkin roll, but we both admit that we're a little shy about the whole funky process of making one. Which is why, when I took my first bite of this simply-made muffin, I seriously moaned with delight as I couldn't help but close my eyes and smile, because in that moment, in my world, I had just taken a bite from a real, live, authentic pumpkin roll. BUT, in reality, it was just a little old muffin with some killer cream cheese frosting smeared all over it's head.

Muffin or not, whenever you are able to create a reality that actually feels like a dream, life is good.

Life is definitely good when these babies are baking in your oven. They are super-duper moist, and wonderfully flavored, and Oh, the cream cheese frosting takes it so far over the edge of goodness, that it's dangerous!

We like danger in the kitchen!

Not out-of-control oven fires or crazy, sharp, flying knives danger, but........more like the danger of entering the forbidden world of gluttony.

Ooh, gluttony......

So save yourself from the madness of rolling the classic pumpkin roll and take the easy way out for once - whip up two dozen of these marvelous muffins instead!


Pumpkin and Spice Muffins

One Cup Oat Flour
One Cup Pastry Flour
One Cup Sugar
4 Teaspoons Baking Powder
2 Teaspoons Cinnamon
1/8 Teaspoon Allspice
One Teaspoon Nutmeg
One Teaspoon Salt
One Stick Butter, Melted
One 15-oz. can Pumpkin Puree
3/4 Cup Milk
2 Eggs
3 Teaspoons Vanilla

Sift flour, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and salt. In a separate bowl, mix together pumpkin, milk, butter, eggs, and vanilla. Pour pumpkin mixture into the flour mixture. Fold gently until mixture is combined. Pour into greased or paper-lined muffin pan, filling 3/4 full. Sprinkle each top with a little cinnamon and sugar mixture.

Bake for 20-25 minutes. Once cooled, ice with the following cream cheese frosting, OR eat them plain!


Cream Cheese Frosting

8 Ounces Cream Cheese
2 Tablespoons Melted Butter
3/4 to One Cup Powdered Sugar
Two Teaspoons Vanilla

Mix all the above ingredients on high until soft and whipped. Spread onto each cooled muffin, then EAT!

Note: I brought a plate of these to my friend to thank him for some work he did for me, and he later told me that he ate five of them in one day because he just couldn't stop himself! That's Right!

3 comments:

Amy said...

How Perfect! I was planning on making pumpkin muffins this morning but needed a recipe. I will let you know how they turn out. They look delicious!

Amy said...

Pumpkin Muffin Update: the muffins were a big hit! The kids devoured them so quickly that I did not have a chance to ice them. I can only imagine how tasty they would been if they were iced. My husband commented that the muffins were expectionally moist.

Sheri said...

So happy you loved them Amy! I guess you'll have to make them again just to taste them frosted!

Post a Comment