Thursday, February 25, 2010

Monkeybread...Not just for monkeys!!


Now I just want to begin by saying that I'm quite sure you've had monkeybread before. It's probably been around for centuries...well, at least as long as poppin' fresh dough has been around, anyway. But sometimes a recipe is so good that you only allow yourself to make it for "special occasions" and in doing so, you hardly ever make it because maybe "special occasions" don't come around as often as they should.

Yes, I am familiar with this scenario. It happens to me all the time.

And it leaves me wondering...just what constitutes a "special occasion"?

And more importantly, "Why don't I make monkeybread more often?"

Well I don't have a plausible reason, but listen up folks...things are going to change around here! From now on, I declare that monkeybread will be a staple in my house! Yes, I love it that much.

And I'm sure you do too, so what are you waiting for? Make it for the ones you love this weekend! It's the perfect Saturday or Sunday breakfast item to go with some fluffy scrambled eggs and tasty sausage. The gooey, buttery, stickiness is divine...the cinnamon sugar, to die for! Three cheers for monkeybread!!


Monkeybread

(3) 10 ct. tubes of refrigerated buttermilk biscuits, not the flaky kind
1 c. butter
1/2 c. brown sugar
1 c. sugar
2-3 tsp. cinnamon
chopped pecans

First, lightly butter the inside of a bundt pan and preheat your oven to 350. Now, open up those tubes of biscuit dough and cut each biscuit into quarters. Next, take a large-sized ziploc bag and put 1 cup of sugar and 2-3 teaspoons of cinnamon in it, seal it, and give it a good shake to combine. Next, throw those quartered biscuits in there and shake those too, so that the pieces are all coated in cinnamon sugar goodness. Don't worry if they stick together...it's no big deal, I promise. Take all of the coated biscuit pieces out of the bag and put them into the bundt pan. I usually sprinkle my chopped pecans in randomly with the pieces. You can leave them out if you're not a nut person, like my hubby...but I personally like the nuts! The bigger, the better! I'm not sure what this says about me.

Now, in a small saucepan, melt the butter and brown sugar together over medium heat, stirring. When it's all melted and combined, pour it all over the biscuit pieces. Really let 'em soak it up! It will be worth it, I promise!

Now bake it for 35-40 minutes, until it's a nice, golden brown. Let it sit for 5 or 10 minutes before inverting it onto a plate...you really want the dough to soak up all that gooey goodness! After you invert it, grab a timer and see how long it takes to disappear!



0 comments:

Post a Comment