Monday, March 1, 2010

Mom's Special Meat Sauce


When I was growing up, my dad wasn't a fan of anything spicy, so in turn, neither were we kids. Or rather, we didn't know that spiciness existed. When I started going to other kids' houses for dinner, I was always surprised when their moms served spaghetti. It was never anything like what MY mom served!! And although my tastes are now quite varied and diverse, I still love this ultra-thick spaghetti sauce with all my heart. It is comforting in so many ways, and pleases even the pickiest kids because it is mildly sweet and not spicy. It also makes a very large amount, so we usually use half for dinner, and put the rest in a large ziploc bag and freeze it for later. I love getting two meals out of one!

Mom's Special Meat Sauce

2 lbs. ground beef
1/2 lb. sausage
1 large can stewed tomatoes
1 can Campbell's tomato soup
2 cans tomato paste
3 garlic cloves, pressed
3 medium onions
salt & pepper
2 tbsp. sugar

Brown the ground beef, sausage, garlic, and onions in a large skillet. Add the tomatoes, tomato soup, tomato paste, and salt & pepper to taste. I always thought the addition of Campbell's tomato soup was weird, and I tried a few different substitutes. But do you know what I found out? There is no substitute! Nothing tastes quite the same...and I'm not sure that I want to know what that means, but I love this recipe anyway!!!

Ok, back to the recipe...add 2 tbsp. sugar to the sauce and simmer for 2-3 hours. I know you won't want to add the sugar...I never want to either, but it does tone down the acidity of the tomatoes, so try it! I really think you'll like it!



0 comments:

Post a Comment