Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Salmon Patties

Growing up in a Catholic family, we dutifully observed the no-meat-rule on Fridays during Lent. We ate a great deal of fish and mac and cheese - much to my delight - as these were my all-time faves. But we also ate our fair share of salmon patties. Whenever I peered into the kitchen and noticed them on that night's menu, I can't say I was too excited - nothing glamorous about salmon patties. Yet, by the time they got to the table and then my plate and then my mouth, I was always amazed by how good they were.

I've realized that as an adult, I don't eat much salmon from a can anymore. Instead, I enjoy the succulent taste of fresh salmon. But then last week, my sister Amy, who has five spunky and magnificent children sent me this tasty little number along with rave reviews from all the kids...even the temporarily picky four-year old, Zach. So, I decided to try them myself and was impressed with their sinfully savory flavor. I forgot how good they could be!

So, if you're observing the Lenten tradition, these just might be the perfect Friday night dinner for you and your family.


Baked Salmon Patties

14.5 Ounce Can Salmon
Milk (see directions)
One Cup Bread Crumbs, divided
1/4 Parmesan Cheese
1/4 Cup Butter or Coconut Oil
1/4 Cup Onion, finely chopped
1/4 Cup Red Pepper, finely chopped
1/4 Cup Celery, finely chopped
1/3 Cup Flour
3/4 Teaspoon Hot Chili Sauce (or as desired)
One Tablespoon Lemon Juice
2 Tablespoons Chopped Fresh Chives
1/2 Teaspoon Dried Dill Weed

Press the liquid from the canned salmon into a measuring cup. Add enough milk to measure 3/4 cup. Flake the salmon into a large bowl, removing any large bones. Whisk bread crumbs and Parmesan Cheese together in separate bowl. Set both bowls aside for now.

Gently saute' onion, pepper, and celery in butter until softened, but not browned. Whisk in the flour until smooth and cook for one minute, stirring constantly. Add the milk mixture while continuing to stir and cook until thickened. Remove from heat. Stir in the salmon, lemon juice, hot sauce, chives, dill, and 1/2 the bread crumbs. Refrigerate until firm. (You may do this a day in advance up to this point)

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. If you're using a stone dish, you're ready to go. Otherwise, line a shallow baking sheet with foil and lightly oil.

Divide chilled salmon into 8 portions forming patties. Place remaining bread crumbs in a shallow plate. Coat both sides of the salmon patties with crumbs. Place on baking sheet. Bake 35 minutes or until considered done.

Serve with tartar sauce and lemon wedges if desired.

Now..........wait for Easter!

2 comments:

Jen said...

omg! Made these tonight and they were sooo yummy! Served with garlic mashed potatoes, corn and a fresh salad. The only negative was how DISGUSTING it was taking the bones out of the salmon. I've never seen canned salmon before I seriously was gagging...but once it was all mixed up with all those fabulous ingredients and then cooked---DELISH! Thanks for the recipe! We're having cottage cheese pancakes in the morning! woohoo!

Sheri said...

Oh I hear you Jen! I had forgotten how gross de-boning the salmon can be until I made it! Thank goodness it only gets prettier from there...so glad you liked it! I hope you have a GREAT breakfast! ;0)

Post a Comment